History of Newport Beach
In 1953, the third international jamboree of the Boy Scouts of America held its event where Newport Center and Fashion Island now sit. It was the first jamboree held west of the Mississippi River and had 50,000 scouts from all 48 states, Alaska, Hawaii and 16 foreign countries. Thousands of tents were pitched in the area reachable only by a two-lane muddy trail called Palisades Road. The road was soon paved, and later the name was changed toJamboree Road in honor of the Scouts.
In 1955, the Newport Harbor Buffalo Ranch was established. This tourist attraction featured a head of buffalo in addition to other 1950s-style 'cowboys and Indians' exhibits. Among other things, the attraction was notable for having a number Native Americans among its staff, including one of Geronimo's grandchildren, Chief Cuthle Geronimo III.
In 1958, Hughes Aircraft Company's Solid State Products Division, and Microelectronic Circuits Division, specializing in electronic testing, and assembly of hybrid components and administrative activities, was built in Newport Beach. Throughout the years, various use permit approvals were granted for the expansion of the site. In 1997, Raytheon Company merged with Hughes, and subsequently acquired the site. Raytheon continued the established operations. Raytheon sold the site in 2000.
In 1962, Pacific Electric trains along the Pacific Ocean were used for the last time to deliver boats to Newport Beach.
In 1963, the first phase of Eastbluff, the first 'village' to be developed under the Irvine Company's master plan, was opened.
In 1967, Fashion Island was completed. Newport Center Drive, a circular road, embraces Fashion Island and gives it the 'island' name. Newport Center's first office building, at 400 Newport Center Drive, was completed the same year.
In 1969, the Irvine Company's twin towers were completed at Newport Center.
In 1971, Harbor View Hills, the second Irvine Company village to be built in Newport Beach, was opened. It includes the area between MacArthur, Ford and San Miguel roads, and the area now known as Spyglass Hill. The Big Canyon Golf Club opens the same year. The first of three eight-story glass towers that make up the Newport Medical Complex is completed.
In 1972, architect William Pereira's famous 'flying saucer' building, as well as Skidmore, Owings and Merrill's 18-story high-rise (the city's tallest to date), are both completed at Newport Center.
In 1973, the village of Big Canyon was opened.
In 1971, Harbor View Hills, the second Irvine Company village to be built in Newport Beach, was opened. It included what is now known as
In 1990, construction began on Newport Coast.
Newport Beach Homes for Sale
Newport Beach homes offer exquisite living in one of America's most prestigious and well known communities. The city of Newport Beach encompasses the best of all worlds, and is the truest example of Orange County coastal living. Newport Beach homes consist of some of the most desired real estate available for sale in Southern Californiaand comprises an impressive array of condominiums, townhomes, single family homes and income property opportunities.